Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oaky Woods trip  (Read 3843 times)
Merrill
Administrator
Botanist

I'm no botanist, and I don't even play one on TV.

« on: June 02, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »

I wanted to share pics from the Oaky Woods trip Saturday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merrillm/sets/72157605395584575/

I'll get titles on the pictures eventually, but Lee Echols, who's in most of the pics, did a great job leading. You'll also see Ed and Linda in some of the pics, and the tall man in the painted pith helmet is Jerry Payne from West Bibb County. We were also pleased to have Wendy Zomlefer, curator of the UGA Herbarium, along. Wendy directed Lee's thesis on the black belt prairies there, also known as the Georgia chalk prairies. Lee found at least 24 rare species and 4 state records during his research.

As usual, I don't know plant names, but maybe y'all can help. It was a hot day, but a fun trip, and we had a large group.

Merrill

This is where a signature would be, if I had one.
sanguinaria

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »

Great photos, Merrill.  The cool-looking orange lichen is orange foliose bark lichen, Teloschistes exilis (Michaux) Vainio.  In Georgia, it is currently known only from the Houston County chalk prairies and is considered imperiled and of special concern.

The 12th photo on the thumbnails -- the plant with the dark pink flowers -- is Dakota Vervain (Glandularia bipinnatifida) - it also known only from Houston County in Georgia, though it's common and widespread out west.  It is considered critically imperiled in Georgia and of special concern.

The white-flowered rose is, of course, Cherokee Rose (Rosa chinensis), Georgia's state flower -- unfortunately, since it is an exotic, somewhat invasive species.  A web site (http://www.powersource.com/cherokee/rose.html) gives this well-intentioned but biologically implausible story:  "Legend of the Cherokee Rose:  When the Trail of Tears started in 1838, the mothers of the Cherokee were grieving and crying so much, they were unable to help their children survive the journey. The elders prayed for a sign that would lift the motherís spirits to give them strength. The next day a beautiful rose began to grow where each of the motherís tears fell. The rose is white for their tears; a gold center represents the gold taken from Cherokee lands, and seven leaves on each stem for the seven Cherokee clans. The wild Cherokee Rose grows along the route of the Trail of Tears into eastern Oklahoma today."

Anyone want to start a movement to replace the Cherokee Rose with a Georgia endemic, such as Georgia Plume (Elliottia racemosa)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length