Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Blooming at 4 Floyd Co. sites  (Read 1443 times)
Richard
Botanist

« on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »

Teresa and I visited 4 sites in Floyd Co. yesterday and this is a report of what was in bloom.

We went to Black's Bluff, Armuchee Elementary School, Little Dry Creek Natural Area, and even our yard yesterday and "spring has sprung"! I agree with Rich, some
plants are really early this year. I have never seen the Dutchmen's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria) and trout lily (Erythronium americanum) blooming this early at Black's Bluff, it is usually late March to early April!!! The trout lily here, the Pocket and Cloudland blooms later than the Atlanta area or Wolf Creek because E. americanum blooms a little later than E. umbilicatum.

Also blooming at Black's Bluff were sharp-lobed Hepatica (Hepatica acutiloba), cut-leaf and slender toothworts (Dentaria laciniata) and D. heterophylla), harbinger of-spring (Erigenia bulbosa), almost gone, rue anemone (Thalictrum thalictroides), giant chickweed (Stellaria pubera), wild blue phlox (Phlox divaricata), early saxifrage (Saxifraga virginiensis), and long-spurred violet (Viola rostrata).

At Armuchee we saw the round-lobed hepatica (Hepatica americana), slender toothwort, and rue-anemone. At LDCNA we saw a different toothwort, narrow-leaf toothwort (Dentaria mutifida). And, of course, we saw a bunch of lawn plants at all areas, such as: Lamium amplexicaule and L. purpureum, Draba verna and D. brachycarpa, Mazus japonicus, Cerastium glomeratum, Stellaria meadia, Veronica persica and V. serpyllifolia, Houstonia caerulea and H. pusilla, etc., etc. etc.

And, in our yard, tons of Claytonia virginica, and my rare Amelanchier alabamensis (Alabama serviceberry) has been in full bloom for a few days and is starting to fade.

Reported by Richard & Teresa Ware
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length