Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: obtaining Cleistes divaricata  (Read 2134 times)
Providence

« on: November 25, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »

The following is from Annie Owens.  Can anyone advise?

I am a volunteer at Historic Carnton Plantation and Confederate Cemetery in Franklin, Tennessee. One of the sons of Liberty County, Georgia, James Wilson Winn, is buried there after falling at the Battle of Franklin on Nov 30, 1864.

His family came to get his body after the war, but when they saw the cemetery and how lovingly Carrie McGavock looked after all the dead soldiers buried there, they left him in her care. A year later the family returned with their wagon full of dirt from their farm and reburied him in his Georgia soil. His grave is surrounded with concrete markers setting it apart from all other graves in the cemetery.

We would like to honor his family's gesture by a special planting. I am particularly interested in the Cleistes divaricata (rosebud orchid) seen here: http://www.americanmeadows.com/StateBirdsFlowersWildflowers/GeorgiaStateFlowerBird.aspx.
Is it possible to get plants? If not, can you recommend another choice?

thanks - Providence
Rich
Distinguished Botanist

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:38:57 PM »

Cleisted divaricata would not be suitable for a cemetary planting.  It would not persist in that habitat.  Sadly,  I have no good thoughts on what might be appropriate.

Rich Reaves
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length