Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rabun County flower id  (Read 3350 times)
Susan

« on: August 20, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »

Here is a link to an unknown flower from Rabun County. I had no luck trying to identify the plant. Any help would be appreciated. Merrill indicated that it might be easier to just post a link to the flower on Flickr, so here it is.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68137880@N00/3756820190/
Thanks for any and all help.
Susan
Susan

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »

Hi Again,
I don't know how I got registered as a botanist, I had to laugh. I love native plants but am definitely not a botanist.
Susan
Richard
Botanist

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »

Can you tell me, in your humble opinion as a botanist, do you think this is a native plant or could it be a non-native cultived plant? What part of the county is it growing in? Is it growing out in the middle of the woods somewhere or close to houses and cultivated land? One more question, do you think it's a herb or a shrub? At first glance I don't recall seeing anything like it myself, but perhaps we can figure it out from your responses.

Richard
Richard
Botanist

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »

Ok, no need to answer questions in the previous post. It has been identified!!! Teresa and I were looking at the picture trying to figure what genus it was in and we decided it looked like a Lysimachia (loosestrife), so she Googled Lysimachia and found the plant in about 2 seconds. It is not native to the United States, in fact, it is from China and Japan. Here is some information that I copied from the Missouri Botanical Garden's website.

Scientific Name:  Lysimachia clethroides

Common Name: gooseneck loosestrife
Zone: 3 to 8
Plant Type: Herbaceous perennial
Family: Primulaceae
Missouri Native: No
Native Range: China, Japan
Height: 2 to 3 feet
Spread: 2 to 4 feet
Bloom Time: July - September
Bloom Color: White
Sun: Full sun to part shade
Water: Medium
Maintenance: Medium

If you have any other mysteries, please share, we'd be glad to work on them.

Richard
Susan

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »

Thank you Richard and Theresa. It shows how non-natives pop up in what seem to be unlikely spots. My husband who took the photo, found a patch of the plants out in the woods at Camp Rainey Mountain, a Scout camp, about 1/4 mile south of Lake Taccoa. I did find some posts on gardening sites that indicate the plant is invasive. Although the plant is attractive, as my Mom used to say "Pretty is as pretty does." I'll have my husband add the id and something about it being invasive to his Flickr photo.
Susan, the appreciative non-botanist
Merrill
Administrator
Botanist

I'm no botanist, and I don't even play one on TV.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »

Hi, Susan, the forum automatically calls members "Botanist." It's just for fun. When you post 100 messages here, it changes you to "Heroic Botanist."

Maybe I should make it call new members "Junior Botanist." I thought about that, but it seemed a little silly to call some of the experts who post here "Junior."

Merrill

This is where a signature would be, if I had one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length