Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Query about a botanical oddity in Polygonatum  (Read 2920 times)
Rich
Distinguished Botanist

« on: May 24, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »

Today, on the Hemptop Trail, we came across a particular morphological expression  that none of us had ever seen before.  There were numerous typical Polygonatum biflorum blooming along the walk. However, we came across one cluster that was out of the ordinary.  It seemed to have slightly more rounded leaves than typical P. biflorum that also were a darker green that the other nearby specimens.  However, the real oddity was that, in addition to the axilary flowers beneath the leaves, there was a single terminal flower at the end of the stem that was sitting on the upper surface of the last leaf.  Most curious.  All but one plant in the cluster had the terminal flower. We did not find any other plants of this type on the walk.

Has anyone ever encountered  this species with a terminal flower?

Rich Reaves
Rich
Distinguished Botanist

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »

I guess, upon further review of the photos of this small patch, the "terminal" flowers only appear so and in reality come from the final leaf axil.  Sure did not look that way in the field and all the others in teh area appeared normal.  So it goes.

I would post a photo, but keep geting a database error every time I try.

Rich Reaves
Merrill
Administrator
Botanist

I'm no botanist, and I don't even play one on TV.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »

Sorry about the database error, Rich. I may have gone overboard in trying to keep the spammers away. If you want to email me a copy of the pic, I can try to post it.

Merrill

This is where a signature would be, if I had one.
Merrill
Administrator
Botanist

I'm no botanist, and I don't even play one on TV.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »

Here's a link to Rich's photo:
http://www.gabotsoc.org/forum/images/Polygonatumbiflorum.jpg

I upgraded the forum software this past weekend, and now there appears to be a glitch with uploading photos. Until I figure this out (I hope within a few days, as time permits), please email me any photos you'd like to post in the forum, and I'll create a link like the one above.

Sorry for the problem.

Merrill

This is where a signature would be, if I had one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length