Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magical May in the Atlanta History Center Gardens  (Read 1179 times)
Rich
Distinguished Botanist

« on: April 27, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

Come join us in the gardens before it gets beastly hot, and see how spectacular they are at present. The mountain laurels (Kalmia latifolia) are in full bloom, as is the fringe tree (Chionanthus virginicus)…which we are submitting as a Georgia Champion! Numerous herbaceous plants are at their peak, such as yellow lady slipper orchids (Cypridpedium parviflorum) – and most of our ferns have unfurled and are looking gorgeous! You must see my favorite fern – at least for this week…dwarf lady fern (Athyrium filix-femina ‘Minutissima’).

Upcoming volunteer sessions in May…all from 9 a.m. until noon.

Tuesday, May 5 – Tullie Smith Farmstead

Thursday, May 14 – Quarry Garden

Saturday, May 23 – Quarry Garden

Tuesday, May 19 – Tullie Smith Farmstead

Thursday, May 28 – Quarry Garden

If you have an interest in joining our wonderfully dedicated group of volunteers that come on a regular basis, which normally takes place the first and third Tuesday of each month, the second and fourth Thursday of each month…and for those that work on weekdays, the third Saturday of each month.

If you are unable to commit to a regular schedule, c’mon out and help on any of the days listed…just let me know when you can attend.

Helping in the Atlanta History Center Gardens is an excellent way to learn about horticulture, spend time in a beautiful setting, work alongside interesting people… and volunteers are often able to take plants home!

As before, please let me know if you plan on coming - as soon as possible, since the list tends to fill quickly. We frequently end up having some folks on a waiting list.

I’d also like to invite you to join the Atlanta History Center to take advantage of all of the benefits of membership, but especially so you can be the first to learn of (and take advantage of the discounts on) the many up-coming events. If you’d like to join, please visit http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/   and click on “Membership.”

Please forward this note with anyone you think may be interested, or send me their e-mail address and I’ll add them to my list. If you prefer not to receive these notices, please let me know and I’ll remove your name.

John T. Manion
Historic Gardens Curator
Atlanta History Center
130 West Paces Ferry Road NW
Atlanta, GA 30305
p | 404.814.4073
e | jmanion@AtlantaHistoryCenter.com

Find out what's happening at the Atlanta History Center!
Visit www.AtlantaHistoryCenter.com

Rich Reaves
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length