Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sedge Workshop at Elachee Nature Center, Hall County  (Read 2764 times)
sanguinaria

« on: March 19, 2007, 08:30:53 AM »

March 31, 2007: Sedge Workshop at Elachee Nature Center, Hall County
10:00 A.M.

Description: Philip Hyatt, a US Forest Service botanist and sedge expert will describe "graminoid" characteristics that differentiate sedges, rushes and grasses. Some sedges flower very early. We'll find Carex nigromarginata, C. albicans, C. laxiflora and probably C. reznicekii, a newly described sedge with Elachee cited as one of its locations. We will wander over the Elachee woods, examining sedges and other cool-season plants.

Directions: From Atlanta I-85 to I-985: Take exit 16 (Oakwood), turn left off ramp, go under highway to light, then turn right onto Frontage Rd and go to end. Take left onto Atlanta Hwy (Hwy 13). After Chicopee Golf Course on right, Elachee Dr is next street on right. From north on I-985/365: Take exit 16, turn right off ramp, then immediate right on Frontage Rd. Follow directions above to continue to Elachee. See www.elachee.org for map and additional driving directions. (Elachee Nature Center, 2125 Elachee Dr.)

Meet At: Elachee Science Nature Center.

Lunch: Bring water and lunch to eat in the field.

Facilities: At the meeting site and at another possible stop at Elachee.

Walking: Moderate - 6 miles of trails and ravines.

Bring: A 10X hand lens will be useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length