Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding Botanical Names  (Read 1407 times)
Rich
Distinguished Botanist

« on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »

Understanding Botanical Names

A Workshop with John Manion, Historic Gardens Curator, Atlanta History Center

Woodlands Garden pavilion and paths

Saturday, November 15, 9 a.m.–11:30 a.m.

Cost: $25

JOIN THE FUN!

Are you someone who would rather eat worms than deal with botanical names? Do you run in the opposite direction when hearing a multi-syllabic Latin name?

Many people avoid scientific names of plants because they are foreign to us, and without understanding them, they can definitely be intimidating and overwhelming.

In this workshop you will—

• Learn how fascinating, enlightening and even humorous botanical names can be.

• Learn names of plants that mean mouse’s ears, eagle’s claws, as well as others.

• Lean about some of the intriguing people for whom many plants are named.

• Learn about scientific nomenclature pronunciation, common prefixes and suffixes

• Receive excellent handouts and references, and much more!

You’ll be surprised how much you can discern about a plant merely by understanding its botanical name.

TO SIGN UP:

Fill out, tear off, and mail form below along with your check mad out to Woodlands/DPA office

Mail to: Susan Cobleigh, Exec.Dir. DPA/Woodlands, Decatur Preservation Alliance, P.O. Box 1764, Decatur, GA 30031

For more information e-mail: susan@decaturpreservationalliance.org; Phone: 404-371-4444

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Woodlands Garden, 920 Scott Boulevard, Decatur, GA

Name(s): _________________________________________________________________________

Email: _______________________ Home Phone: ___________________ Cell: _________________

___ I would like to register now, and ___ I have attached a check for $25.00 (made out to: DPA)

___ I would like to be placed on the waiting list, and will mail my check by Nov. 1.

Rich Reaves
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length